Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chapathi

If there was a contest for the world's worst chapathi's i would have won it !!!! I used to ask all most all the friends we met for tips to make soft chapathi's and their immediate answer would be "Oh thats so easy" and thats enough to annoy me!!!

After a lot of research i found some life saving tips on Aayi's Recipes and my periamma gave me some tips which has helped me make soft and yummy chapathi's. Here's my recipe to soft chapathi.

Ingrediants
Ashirwad Atta - 2 cups
Milk - 1 cup
Water - 3/4 cup
Salt
Oil - 1tsp

Method
Mix milk, water, salt. Add this mixture slowly to the atta and make a soft dough. If you feel the dough is too sticky, sprinkle some atta on it and knead well. You should knead the dough for a good 5-10 minutes. Smear oil on the dough. Knead and keep the dough covered for 30min to 1hour.

Heat the tava, Take a small ball of dough and roll into a small puri, spread 1tsp oil and sprinkle atta on it. Fold this and roll it into any desired shape. Place the rolled dough on the tava, keep the flame on medium, Once you see small bubbles on the chapathi's, turn the chapathi and cook till done. Finally spread some ghee or oil on the chapathi.

Keep in mind
Tava has to be hot.
The dough should not be hard.
Dont leave the chapathi on the tava for too long, It will make them hard.
You can make the dough even with just water, My mom makes chapathi's with water and they still come soft (I wonder how!!!) :)
While rolling the chapathi dont dust too much atta on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment